Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Rhapsodizing Burger Buns

Meowee's Veggie Burgers + Homemade Vegan Burger Buns + Sweet Potato Fries= YAY!


Seriously. Dinner last night was awesome! I made Meowee's Veggie Burgers, Honey Wheat Sandwich Rolls (veganized using soymilk, En-R-Gee Egg Replacer and Earth Balance Margerine), and sweet potato fries! It was a delicous feast.

Meowee's Vegan Veggie Burgers
I found this recipe on MDC.

1 cup lentils, dried
1 cup brown rice, raw
5 cloves garlic
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 inch ginger, peeled
2 tbs soy sauce
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne
olive oil for browning

Prepare rice and lentils according to package instructions; drain lentils well. Place cooked rice, lentils, and remaining ingredients except for olive oil in a food processor and blend until smooth. Allow to rest in the fridge for at least four hours.

Heat olive oil (enough to coat the pan) in a cast iron skillet. Shape "meat" into patties and fry a few minutes on both sides, until well browned.

Serve as hamburgers!
--------------------------------

Also, I just have to say how freaking excited I am that my burger buns turned out! I tried another recipe a week ago and they were FLAT as a pancake. Still tasted good, but looked pretty silly and they were obviously very dense. But not these bad boys!!!!! Witness their lightness! Their rise-itude! Their glorious wheaty color!

*cue angels singing*
They rose! They rose! They rose!
< /angels>

And they were deeeee-licious.

2 comments:

Mandie said...

I might have to try this whole meal! I even have all the ingredients for the 'burgers' ... Homemade fries sound sooooo good, but I'll have to go buy potatoes... hm, yummy! :D

Chessa said...

Yeah, the burgers are great because they pretty much consist of staples that I always have around. The hardest part about them is remembering that they need to sit in the fridge for 4 hours before frying 'em up. So they still take *a little* planning. But so worth it!