This week here at Maybe Local, we enjoyed a really delicious meal of Portabello Stroganoff with Roasted Roots on the side.
Portabello Stroganoff Breakdown
- 3 tablespoons butter (40 mi)
- 1 large onion, chopped (CSA)
- 3/4 pound portobello mushrooms, sliced (farmer's market - local)
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth (non-local)
- 1/2 cups sour cream (173 miles)
- 2.5 tablespoons all-purpose flour (Hampshire Farms, 83 mi)
- 1 Squeeze Braggs (non-local)
- 1 tsp veggie worchestshire sauce (non-local)
- 1 splash white wine (non-local)
- 8 ounces dried egg noodles (produced in MI from ingredients with unknown pedigrees - my 1 freebie per meal)
- 4 carrots, peeled and chunked (local - farmer's market)
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chunked (local - farmer's market)
- 1 onion, cut in wedges (CSA)
- 1 handful of small beets, halved/quartered (CSA)
- 1 delicata squash, peeled and chunked (CSA)
- Olive Oil (non-local)
- 1 tsp chopped fresh rosemary (backyard!)
- s&p (non-local)
And although I reserved my squash seeds for roasting, I didn't use them in this meal, so no bonus squash points for me!
Other delicous local endeavors this week have included: Ratatouille (local peppers, onions, garlic, eggplant and tomatoes baked in olive oil and herbs - yum!). We're still enjoying those leftovers. I also made a pretty local apple crisp that has been rocking our socks - although it would be slightly enhanced if we weren't out of cinnamon ice cream (from our favorite local producer!). There's a road construction issue that's standing in our way of ice cream, and it's not pretty.
Tomorrow should be another local success: Maple Baked Beans and collard greens! I've got the navy beans cooking in the crock tonight (local from Hampshire Farms! I freaking love that place). Tomorrow I'll get the beans "baking" in their maple-y goodness and figure out how the hell to make collard greens. Any tips would be appreciated!
I'm really looking forward to the farmer's market tomorrow. I never knew how much it could anchor the whole week. Tomorrow we're in need of some onions, garlic and eggs and whatever else is inspiring. Oh and portabellos! And maybe squash, because, can you ever really have enough winter squash?!?
And I'd also like to report that there have been no breakdowns in mental health despite the fact that our CSA has ended. This was our first Tuesday in many many weeks that we did not pick up a share. I know I'll miss it, but I'm actually just enjoying the freedom right now of only eating veggies that I'm in the mood for. There are just only so many peppers, eggplants and arugula that a girl can eat, you know?